Friday, May 17, 2013

Please Listen

When I ask you to listen-
And you start giving me advice
You have not done what I’ve asked
When I ask you to listen-
And you tell me I shouldn’t feel this way
You have trampled on my feelings
When I ask you to listen-
And you have a need to solve my problems-
My only opportunity for personal growth
You have failed me-strange, as that may seem
I am not helpless-maybe discouraged
But not helpless
When you do something for me
That I can do for myself
You can contribute to my fear and self-doubt
If you listen-I, too, can hear what I am saying
When you accept what I feel-
No matter how irrational-only then
Can I to tell you ‘why’ I feel the way I feel
Perhaps that’s why prayer works
Because God always listens-
He doesn’t give advice-He just listens
So-please just listen
And if you need to talk-wait your turn
And I, too, will listen!
By: Rita Benacquista-Stillo

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful poem! What a comfort to know that God is always listening... and a great reminder to stop and listen to those around us who need a sympathetic ear.

    ReplyDelete